Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Last Days in Kyiv

It's been a very busy two days. Yesterday we started with a presentation on Ukrainian history and culture.  I will fill you in later with some specifics, but here are a few extra credit opportunities for anyone who gets the right answer--sorry, students only.
1. Who was Taras Shevchenko and what does he symbolize for the Ukrainian people?

We also took a city tour yesterday.  Here are some highlights of the trip.

What is the name of this statue and how tall does she stand?


What's the name of this church? What religion is practiced here?

In case you need to brush up on your Ukrainian....

This is an honors class at one of the best public schools in Ukraine.  This student is giving a presentation about different kinds of art.

I tried to help this little, old lady across the street, but she refused to go.  I don't think she likes Americans.

6 comments:

  1. Taras was a poet who found the foundation of modern Ukranian literacy and language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite picture so far. It made me laugh! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the picture with the old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The statue is called the motherland monument and it stands 62 meters tall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the mother motherland statue and the overall structure is over 102 meters tall. The statue is also referred to as the Mother of the Fatherland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna take a guess at half of the church question. I don't know the name of the church, but I bet the religion is Ukrainian or Russian Orthodox.

    ReplyDelete